Fans of Deep Purple as well as fans of 70's rock will know Tommy Bolin, the young guitarist died 1976 and it looked like an OD... Now many years later Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule) had the idea for a special album to bring back Tommy Bolin's music. The family of Tommy Bolin obviously liked the idea and so Haynes got the original tapes to work with. If you now expect a re-mastered album, you are right and wrong! Yes, he has overdone the old tapes, but he also invited some great musicians to join in and so it seems like e.g. Peter Frampton is playing with Tommy Bolin. With Great Gypsy Soul the songs get a new life, Warren Haynes managed to polish the tunes and keep the warm 70's analog sound. The opener The Grind is showing that perfectly. Most songs were originally released on Bolin's album Teaser, an album which offers more than just 70's rock! You'll find varying sounds... some Latin, some jazz... and surely blues rock in it. Check out Savannah Woman to get an idea of how Tommy Bolin melt together different styles! At Dreamer Tommy Bolin is joined by Alter Bridge singer Myles Kennedy and Wilco's Nels Cline. It was always a beautiful tune, but this way it becomes special. The jazzy side is presented by e.g. Smooth Fandango and Crazed Fandango. At Homeward Strut Steve Lukather joins in and so two great guitarists ennoble this one! At Sugar Shack Glenn Hughes joins Tommy Bolin on vocals while Sonny Landreth adds his slide guitar play. Glad this track finally sees the light of day.
For Great Gypsy Soul you have to be open-minded, but if you do listen to this album you will discover some great music - not to talk about some great musicianship! Tommy Bolin's songs are timeless! Thanks to producers Warren Haynes and Greg Hampton to bring back such a great piece of music!
01. The Grind (with Peter Frampton)
02. Teaser (with Warren Haynes)
03. Dreamer (with Myles Kennedy, Nels Cline)
04. Savannah Woman (with John Scofield)
05. Smooth Fandango (with Derek Trucks)
06. People, People (with Big Sugar & Gordie Johnson)
07. Wild Dogs (with Brad Whitfield)
08. Homeward Strut (with Steve Lukather)
09. Sugar Shack (with Glenn Hughes & Sonny Landreth)
10. Crazed Fandango (with Steve Morse)
11. Lotus (with Joe Bonamassa, Glenn Hughes & Nels Cline)